Sunday, September 17, 2006

Experiment!

Remember those old math tables you had to memorize back in 3rd and 4th grade, and how those teachers used to quiz you day after day until you slept and dreamed about numbers? Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to memorize anything in this blog, however I do want to engrain into your head the importance of practicing piano from all angles. Sure, you can sit down and tickle the keys here and there, but the more you experiment and examine all aspects of music, whether it be through listening, reading, or composition, the more you see, the more you know. This is the most important concept I have learned throughout my music experience. It's as simple as that! The more you see, the more you know!

In order to offer some additional resources to how you can experiment with music from a broader perspective, I have created a list of items to pursue when tackling this lifelong hobby of learning piano.

1.) Compose! -- You don't need to compose a symphany to learn about music. The more you create, the more you discover. Here is a list of programs that I highly recommend when looking into music composition. For most of these, you don't need anything more than a computer mouse and an ear. I have also provided some links that will offer a more advanced variety of composition tools, in case you need them!


2.) Research! -- Learning about the different classical periods and transitions in music will help you to understand why technique and repertoire are so important when learning piano. Just think; you're playing with history! You could be working on a piece written centuries ago. Learning the difference between a baroque piece and a romantic piece can be motivating and give more meaning to the notes on the page in front of you. For further resources, I recommend visiting wikipedia, specifically the entry relating to the different classical periods.

3.) Listen! -- Go out and pick up a CD, or check out iTunes and find an artist that inspires you. Set a goal, find a song that you aspire to play someday and write it down. Keep yourself motivated so that you can pursue and accomplish that goal!

The purpose of this was to re-iterate the importance of diving into music from all aspects. Sure, you're just learning piano, but if you want to really get inside the keys and feel the music, I recommend spending time in other areas of music, especially composition. This has been the most helpful tool for me, and you may surprise yourself with what you can create and learn!

1 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I agree with your post whole-heartedly. My piano teacher had us do paper lessons as well as playing. As much as I dreaded the "assignment" it helped emensly when I was old enough to put it all together. My teacher was also and advocate of composition. She had us compose a piece every year, even if it was our first year playing! It truly helps bridge the gap between the possible and impossible. I loved hearing the finished pieces, not believing that I could make something that sounded so good! And like you said about reasearching time eras, these get thrown in a composition wihtout even knowing it. I think you are advocating all the right things. Keep it up!

10:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home